Wednesday 31 October 2012

Currently obsessing over....Halloween (yes, really!)

My natural makeup style is really conservative, as you probably already know (hello, taupe eyeshadow and dark rosy lipstick!). However, in my teens, I had a secret desire to copy the hair and makeup of the goth girls in the year above. I thought they looked so cool and interesting whereas a lot of my friends just thought they looked strange. My dress sense was always a little quirky and that's probably still true now but I do wish I hadn't wasted the opportunity to be more expressive with my hair and makeup whilst I was younger.

Anyway, I guess that's a rather roundabout way of saying that Halloween gives me an excuse to be a bit different without having to really explain myself. The look that I just posted here was inspired by Pixiwoo's Vampire makeup and watching this set me off on a long binge of Youtube viewing. I was especially engrossed in videos by Sokolum79, Hollywood Noir Makeup and Letz Makeup but there were many others too. If you're looking for inspiration or you enjoy theatrical makeup, I'd highly recommend checking them out. Personal favourites include Pixiwoo's Miss Argentina Makeup, Sokolum's Hunger Games Capitol Makeup and the Victorian Gothic Circus by Hollywood Noir Makeup. I really want to have a go at this Lisbeth Salander look too.

In terms of deciding which look to re-create for this evening, I was somewhat restricted by which items I could purchase locally with my half-term entourage. My local Claire's didn't have any long black wigs or the Snazaroo Face Paint set that I was after, so that was my witch, vampire and Miss Argentina ideas out of the window. Instead, I picked up a neon pink wig and some two-tone fake lashes. After several failed attempts at copying Michelle Phan's Cyber Gothic Anime, I decided to have a go at re-creating Sokolum's Wide Eyed Doll.


Halloween+Doll1

This was my trial run from last night but I suspect I will make some adjustments today, like getting hold of some eye drops as bloodshot eyes wasn't part of the plan! I wish I could have justified some circle lens contacts as I think that really helps achieve the creepy doll-eyed effect. 

Will you be dressing up this evening? Do you like to be more adventurous with your makeup given the right occasion?

13 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought of you when I was taking the pictures last night. I kept thinking 'I must not pout, must not pout' but somehow smiling made it look extra weird!!! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow this is amazing. I really had to take a close look to convince myself it was really you.

    My kids are well impressed, the penny has dropped that I am a boring Mum (in the creativity dept anyway!).

    Hope you have a lovely night out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you be less impressed if I said I was staying in? My intention is to give the trick or treaters a bit of a shock as I answer the door ;).

      I wish my creativity had extended to decorating the house for this evening. I've decided to save my energies for Friday's birthday celebrations instead. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

      Delete
  3. That looks fab and all the better because its so out there compared to your usual, very lovely, taupe and neutral palette. Have a great time this evening! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I did enjoy playing with the colours outside of my usual palette. Sometime I might venture into using colour in a more everyday way ;) x

      Delete
  4. Very cool! I'm quite impressed. Have a great Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic job, Jane!!!!!!!!!! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really great job! You look awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and read each and every one. I always do my best to reply too. If you have a question and need a quick response, please feel free to email me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails