Thursday 5 January 2012

New Brushes (and a New Taupe!)

I don't share hauls that often, I'm never entirely sure how interesting they are for anyone else but yesterday was such a great day for deliveries, I couldn't resist sharing. Plus, I also wanted to bring you an update on the Hakuhodo price increase that I mentioned here.

Hakuhodo+TLBC2


I want to start by saying a big thank you to Marcia of Beauty Info Zone for helping me with this particularly Hakuhodo order. You made this blogger very happy indeed! The brushes I have here are the B214BkSL Highlighter brush, the G5552 4mm powder & liquid round/angled brush and the K024 round and flat eyeshadow brush. I can't wait to have a play with them all.

Hakuhodo1

The prices have been affected in exactly the way I anticipated. The G5552 powder & liquid brush from the G series was one of the more recent addition to their line up and already at a higher price. Pre-2012 the G5222 was priced $42 and it's current price is $45. If I've done my maths correctly, that is in an increase of 7%. I expected the Basics line to be the hardest hit by the increase and indeed, the B214BkSL has gone up significatly. Pre-2012, this cost $18 whereas it now costs $26, so that is an increase of 44%. The K024 eyeshadow brush has taken a similar jump, increasing from $12 to $17 (42%). At the time of purchase the Medium Pointed Yachiyo that I reviewed in December cost me $27 and I was sad to see this has increased to $40. At an increase of 48%, this is the biggest jump of the four brushes.

Hakuhodo+TLBC1

Hakuhodo+TLBC5

Despite the increase, I still think there are some reasonably priced brushes and they are of an excellent quality. If you're interested to see a complete break down of the price increases Glossed in Translation has compiled a rather marvellous spreadsheet. Although I am disappointment by the increase, I know I won't be able to resist a look at the Hakuhodo stand at IMATS in February (if I can get close enough to it of course, I may need to sharpen my elbows!).

TLBC1


Because a girl can never have enough brushes, I put in an order for some of The London Brush Company brushes whilst they were on sale on Cocktail Cosmetics. I ordered No. 12 and No. 14 (I have previously reviewed No. 17 and No. 18). The No. 12 brush was much bigger than I was expecting but I'm keen to experiment with this shape. I'm sure No. 14 will be a great lid brush as it's a smaller version of No. 16 which I find to be excellent for laying down colour.

Julie Hewett+Mystere1

On to the new taupe! Whilst putting in the order for the brushes, I finally caved and bought the Julie Hewett Hue in Mystere which I have had on my wishlist for more than a year. I have not dared disturb it yet but the colour looks very promising in the pot. I will of course report back on how I get on.

Have you treated yourself to anything in the sales? Also, what do you think to the Hakuhodo price increases, do you think it will put you off future orders?

11 comments:

  1. such a lovely taupe! I'm in need of new brushes but my budget just isn't lending itself to investment pieces at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After Japan's devastating tsunami last year, I started collecting Hakuhodo brushes in earnest, partially to build up my investment brush collection and also knowing that price increases were inevitable (just had a hunch). I have been able to get most of what I needed (wanted??) prior to the price hike, but I can't guarantee that this change won't stop my fingers from hitting the "confirm your order" button. I still think, for the quality and craftsmanship, these brushes are worth every penny. Congrats on your acquisitions- I adore my brushes and you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I am sad to see the price increase in Hakuhodo *(and thanks for the link to the spreadsheet), but frankly, I had previously found them to be almost criminally cheap. Don't tell them that, though.

    Can't wait to read your thoughts about the JH taupe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was all interested looking at the brushes and then WHAM you throw in that taupe beauty ;) you will have to let me know if I need it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice hauling! I was curius about the G5552 as it's quite an unusual shape. I'm eagerly awaiting my Hakuhodo order, I bought the B214BkSl too, so glad to get that in before the increase. I can understand the prices considering the craftsmanship but it would be easier if I didn't know what they cost before.

    Glossed in Translation is fab! - love the spreadsheet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of new brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait for your Julie Hewett review.

    The Hakuhodo brushes are just amazing. When I was at IMATS I had so much trouble narrowing down what I wanted to buy but now I'll have a much better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous! You have great taste Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting that you anticipate a crowd at the booth for IMATS. At The Makeup Show in NYC last year, there were only a handful of people there at any given time. I wonder if the prices differ dramatically between England and the US, or if just doesn't have quite the same brand recognition in North America.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a OCC lip tar from CC in the sale and a japonesque eyeliner brush. I havent tried hakahudo brushes but they seem good quality from the reviews.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and read each and every one. I always do my best to reply too. If you have a question and need a quick response, please feel free to email me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails