Monday 25 June 2012

My Z Palette and Depotting LMdB Kaleidoscopes

Z-palette+depotted+LMdB1

Last night I suddenly got an urge to try depotting my Le Métier de Beauté Kaleidoscopes. So, whilst most people were watching the England match go to penalities, I took a small screwdriver to my makeup and hoped I wouldn't live to regret this rash decision.

depotting+Kaleidoscope+LMdB1

depotting+Kaleidoscope+LMdB3

depotting+Kaleidoscope+LMdB2

The Le Métier de Beauté Kaleidoscopes come with a small hole in the back of each layer which allow you to free the eyeshadow pans without the need for a heat. Hopefully you can see from the pictures that the hole is very close to the edge of the pan. It is important to angle the tool you are using towards the centre of the pan, rather than straight up, as it is possible for it to slip straight past the edge of the pan otherwise. I first of all tried using a needle but this didn't enable me to apply enough pressure, so I switched to a thin screwdriver which was more successful.

The pans came out relatively easily and I found it best to cup my hand over the pan whilst pressing from behind, so that I could catch the eyeshadow as it popped out. Freeing the eyeshadows in this way causes no damage to the packaging and I intend to keep the kaleidoscope casing just in case I change my mind about storing the eyeshadows in a free palette.

I depotted three eyeshadow kits: Silk Road, Penelope and Le Cirque. I would have depotted Come One, Come All if I hadn't run out of space in my Z palette. The fact that the Z palette was filled so quickly made me realise just how big the Le Métier pans are. I probably should have compared them to a MAC pan for reference but the RBR refill pan that you can see on the right hand side is a very similar to a MAC pan. The square pan that you can also see on the right hand side is a depotted Shu Uemura eyeshadow.

Z-palette+depotted+LMdB5

Z-palette+depotted+LMdB3

The Z palettes have a magnetised base so there is no need to add magnetic stickers to underside of pans and refills. Sometimes you will find that eyeshadow pans are made from a non-magnetic material. I discovered that both the Shu and the pans from Le Cirque were non-magnetic so I applied the 'metal stickers' that came with the Z palette to these pans. This is where I feel the need to have a little whinge. I think it's a shame that the free palettes haven't settled on a universal system. I would like to be able to swap and change pans around across all of my palettes (MAC, Z palette and Unii palette) but this isn't possible as about a third of my pans have magnets on their base. I have no desire to start removing stickers that I have carefully applied just so that I can put them in my Z palette.

Z-palette+MAC+comparison2

Z-palette+MAC+comparison1

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Z palette. I don't think it is as attractive as a Unii palette and although the cardboard is sturdy, I'm not sure I'd feel safe using it for travel. Of course, the Pro Z palette does have size on its side, you can see how it compares to the MAC 15 pan palette above. The old style Unii palette remains my personal favourite. You can find an excellent comparison of the old and new style Unii palettes on Everyday Beauty.

I purchased my Pro Z palette from Cocktail Cosmetics where they cost £19.95.

12 comments:

  1. Great de-potting! I love the little push-out holey things. I am with you on the Z palette. I wish Unii Palettes were bigger and cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The push-out holes are so convenient. Why doesn't everyone do this?! Yes, bigger Unii palettes would be ideal. I much prefer the style of the Unii.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I probably should have posted this with a warning!

      Delete
  3. I am so happy I've depotted all my Le Metier de Beaute Kaleidoscopes into Pro Z Palettes. I now have 3 palettes full and it is so nice to see all my pretties laid out for me! They are some huge motha pans aren't they! Makes the $95 price tag a lot easier to swallow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely are huge motha pans! I don't think I would have credited it until I depotted them and saw how quickly they filled the Z palette. Your post was definitely the catalyst for me ;)

      Delete
  4. I sort of want to depot my Le Metier but I'm afraid. You are a brave lady Ms Modesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I don't feel all that brave as I kept all of the Kaleidoscope housing knowing that I can glue them back in if I change my mind! LOL

      Delete
  5. You must be stronger than me, I tried poking mine out but they wouldn't budge (I know this sentence sounds a bit wrong...)!
    I am tempted to get one of those Z palettes, I think I'm a bit like you though and its not the best design looks wise, especially if you are going to put fancy pants shadows in it, though I know it would be more practical xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to exert continuous pressure for a while in order to make them give. It's important to get the angle right too. The first time I did it the shot straight out the other side!

      The Z palettes aren't the most attractive palettes, even with the different patterns. I'd prefer something more sturdy but I suppose the disadvantage is that it would be really heavy. An alternative would be to use a MAC palette with the insert removed? x

      Delete
  6. Just wondering, how many LMBD shadows fit into a Unii palette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I've just checked for you and I can fit 6 LMDB eyeshadows in my (old style) Unii palette. These eyeshadows fill the Unii palette up very quickly as they are surprisingly big eyeshadows.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and read each and every one. I always do my best to reply too. If you have a question and need a quick response, please feel free to email me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails