Thursday 9 September 2010

My Afternoon with Oxford Jasmine

If you follow me on twitter you probably already know that I was lucky enough to spend some of Sunday afternoon with the very lovely Oxford Jasmine. After a conversation which started on twitter, Jasmine invited me round for a makeover and of course I jumped at the chance. I'd seen the video of her studio so was more than happy to have opportunity for a nosy in those draws, as well as get a lesson from a makeup expert.

Jasmine asked in advance if I had any particular make up concerns or issues. Top of the list was the worry that with my new school run routine, I'd be going out bare faced unless I could learn a quick and easy face! On the day we looked at some images for inspiration and I picked out a photo that was a very subtle, almost nude make up look. Probably a little boring of me but the words of my Mother from my own school days still ring in my ears "It's school, not a fashion parade"! It also gave Jasmine opportunity to show me some placement tips and tricks to make the most of my features.

Photobucket


Here is the photo of the quick day look. I was really pleased with how it looked and I loved how Jasmine had done my eyes. She used a matte light brown/beige from the UD Naked palette as a natural crease colour. The colour was concentrated on the outer part of the crease and the inner corner to give more dimension to my eyes. As I was able to compare the difference with and without the crease colour, I was amazed at the effect. I've also taken away the trick of applying concealer in a V on the outer corner to sharpen up the outer edge of my eye. I was really pleased with how it lifted up my eyes which are a little hooded. I have my eye on an ELF pen liner after Jasmine used this to apply liner just at the lash line.

I was instantly taken with The Body Shop lipstick Jasmine picked for this look. It's a beautiful dark peachy nude. It's not a colour I would have typically chosen but I love how it looked. So much so that I went out and bought it today, I have it on as I type. For reference it's number 42. I really like the blusher too, from memory it was a mixture of a cream blush from a palette and a smidge of E.L.F. Natural Radiance blusher in Bronze.

Photobucket



Along with the defined brows this is a great "My Face but Better" look for me. It's been great for the school run too.

In complete contrast to the day look, Jasmine created a stunning smoky eye as an evening look. I really loved this. I can't give exact shade details as it was an amazing blend of three shadows from two different palettes. The basis of it was MAC Teddy eye kohl (one of my favourite liners) and this was applied to my lower lash line and crease and smudged out. I was really pleased with this as it's always great to find new ways with old favourites!

Photobucket


Photobucket

For a bit of fun, I added some false lashes later on. It is entirely normal to be be wearing false lashes at 5pm on a Sunday isn't it? My photos aren't great and please excuse the visible blob of glue but I thought it would be fun to share the pictures with you.

Photobucket


Photobucket


I had such a great time with Jasmine. I learned so much, I have a list as long as my arm of E.L.F. products and brushes I want to get after my rummaging and as well as all that, I enjoyed fabulous conversation and scrummy homemade cake! So, huge thanks to the talented and very stunning Oxford Jasmine for such a lovely afternoon. Believe me, her studio is make up nirvana!

You can read Oxford Jasmine's post about our get together here.

18 comments:

  1. How incredibly stunning both of these looks are on you. Wow. You look absolutely beautiful. But then Oxford Jasmine had a great canvas to work with ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you look incredibly beautiful and sexy with a smokey eye! You should definitely recreate this more often.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a lovely afternoon, how did three hours go by so fast! It's a no brainer really, make up and two make up junkies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are amazing looks, agree with Charlie that you have a good canvas to start with but Oxford Jasmine has given you such great quick looks and tips, it is always the tips one takes away. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look absolutely stunning. There isn't really anything more I can say...just...wow!!
    (oh yes there is - I am so jealous of your gorgeous big eyes!!!) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Charlie: I’m blushing, that’s such a nice thing for you to say. I really loved both of the looks too.

    @Jo: Thank you! I’ll definitely be trying to recreate the smoky eye, I loved it and thought the colours Jasmine chose were really flattering. I don’t feel comfortable going for black these days but these were dark and sultry without being harsh.

    @OxfordJasmine: It flew by didn’t it. Make up Junkies in a room full of make up, winner! Thank you so much again x

    @Jan: Thank you. I was thrilled to pick up the tips on how to make the most of my eye shape. Marvellous stuff and I’ve been using variations on the quick look all of this week.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. @WelshBeautyBlog: Thank you so much! I don’t normally think of my eyes as being big but I think the make up looks Jasmine did really brought them out. I really pleased you like it x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a lovely time! A room full of makeup AND a makeup artist on a sunday afternoon sounds good to me!

    Really really love the second look on you...as I guess it's not a look I have seen on your lovely blog and it really does suit you. Very yummy mummy!

    Very pretty and a lovely post.

    Fee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - they are both stunning looks! And sounds like it was a fab afternoon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to start by mentioned just how jealous I am!! :p

    Both looks are fantastic and I cant believe how different you look with just a little extra eye make up! The body shop lip stick is gorgeous and very subtle.

    If you're going to splash out on some ELF brushes I definitely recommend the Studio ones. Although they're £3.50 each (as opposed to £1.50 for the reglar line) I've found them to be much better quality :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am LOVING these looks! It does look extremely natural, but BETTER than natural (no offence!)

    Must try that look out.....

    Ali xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Michelle: Thanks lovely! I’m so pleased you like it :)

    @Fee: I was so lucky to have such a fantastic opportunity! A perfect Sunday treat. It’s true, I don’t think ever posted such a dramatic eye look but I love it. I’ll definitely be trying it out myself. Thank you for you a lovely comment, I really appreciate it x

    @TBBB: Thank you! I had a great time.

    @All Made Up: Thank you, It’s amazing isn’t it to the difference between the two eye looks. I will definitely check out the studio brushes. I was looking at the flat top powder brush, HD powder and the brown eyeliner Jasmine used. Oh and the lovely elf polish she was wearing. Feel free to make any other recommendations for me :D.

    @Ali: Thank you and no offence taken. I’m of an age where no one needs to see me ACTUALLY au naturel! Gently enhanced is how I like to think of it ;).

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you had a lot of fun. Both looks are great, but I particularly like the last one. and your skin looks flawless as well, but as everyone has said, you are blessed with good skin anyway. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a lovely time, great to pick up new ways of doing things, I know I alway stick to the same thing and could do with a change. Really pretty looks on you! and to top it off homemade cake, bliss :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well since you ask!... you really can’t go wrong with the eye shadow primer – great value and even has added vitamins so makes you feel like you’re doing your skin a favour. The high definition powder is fantastic for finishing off almost any look, can’t remember the last day I didn’t use it.

    Oh and the fan brush is pretty good. I never used one previous to getting this but I’ve found it really handy for apply blusher, bronzer and a simmery highlight on my cheeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looks! The smokey eye definitely brings out your lovely eye color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Bella Queen: We really did have a great time. I love the dramatic eye too, I really enjoyed posing around with the false lashes on. I don’t often have the opportunity and really need to find more excuses to be a diva!

    @Replica: It was brilliant learning new tips and seeing how someone else would do my make up. Not as daunting for me as a counter makeover either! You know me with THE FEAR! Homemade cake and make up is an excellent combination!

    @All Made Up: Thank you so much for the recommendations. I have the mineral eye primer now and think it’s excellent. I think the HD powder would be a great investment for me, I like the idea of the fan brush too.

    @Makeup Magpie: Thank you. I loved the smoky eye and think you’re right, the colours Jasmine used were perfect for my eye colour. I look forward to re-creating something similar on my own.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and read each and every one. I always do my best to reply too. If you have a question and need a quick response, please feel free to email me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails