Tuesday 7 September 2010

Rock Face Mineral blush review

Photobucket


I recently received some Rock Face Mineral blushers for review. I don't often use mineral products, after a bad reaction with a foundation a few years ago, but as Rock Face Mineral products are free from parabens, bismuth oxychloride and talc, amongst other things, I was keen to give them a try. There are seven blusher shades available on the website and I selected Toffee Apple, Sherry Darlin and Pixie Kisses.

Photobucket

Left to Right: Pixie Kisses, Toffee Apple, Sherry Darlin

I tried to take some swatches on my arm of the blushers but for some reason I couldn't capture Toffee Apple or Pixie Kisses very well. They look barely there on my arm but this isn't accurate as the colour shows beautifully on the cheeks. I've taken a few pictures on them in their containers to try and help show the colours off.

Photobucket

Toffee Apple

Toffee Apple is beautiful peachy-pink with silver shimmer. It definitely looks darker on my cheeks than the arm swatch implies. The shimmer is finely milled so there's no chunkiness and it's much more subtle than say a MAC MSF, it just imparts a beautiful sheen to the cheeks. On darker skin tones I can see this working nicely as a highlight.

Photobucket

Sherry Darlin

Photobucket

Blended and Unblended Swatches

Photobucket


Sherry Darlin is a matte, rosy pink shade. As it's quite dark and pigmented, I applied with a MAC 188 duo fibre brush. I ended up going back in and adding a little more though, so I think I was being overly cautious! It gave me a very nice, natural colour to the cheeks. Because it's a mineral blush and almost melds with the skin when applied, it gives what I would describe as a satin finish. Rosalita is the shimmering version of this blusher and I imagine this would look beautiful too.

Photobucket

Pixie Kisses

Photobucket


I've saved my favourite for last. Pixie Kisses is a pretty pale pink with sparkle. I really loved how this looks on the cheeks and it's definitely going to get a lot of use. Like Toffee Apple it gives a beautiful sheen rather being obviously glittery. I can see why this is such a popular shade!

The blushers retail for £9 for 4.5g and come in screw top sifter jars. There's a lot of product for your money and with the amount you need per application, these would last you a very long time. They feel very soft on the skin, the colour applies well and has really good lasting power. I've put them on in the morning and they've still been there at bed time. I was also thrilled that there was none of the prickling feeling I'd experienced using mineral formulas that contain bismuth. The only minor niggle I had was with the sealing sticker on the sifter jar. On the full size jars there wasn't a tab to pull the sticker off and it was a bit tricky to pull it free. I recommend using something other than your nail to loosen the edge and lift it up. The products are lovely and after reading Jemma's review, I'm rather tempted by some of the eyeshadows! You can find Rock Face Minerals at www.rockfaceminerals.co.uk.


Disclosure: products were provided free of charge for consideration for review.

12 comments:

  1. thanks for the review, your skin is flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look lovely, but I'm pretty crap at putting on blusher, not having any cheekbones to speak of.

    How do you get on with these little sifter jars? I find that I end up with a lot of product sitting outside the sifter and lots of it pouffs off into the air when I try to use it.

    Is that just me?

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penelope, thanks for the lovely comment x

    Hi Ali! I'm becoming quite concerned for you now with you lack of eye lid and cheekbones! ;P Though, I'm sure you're just being mean about yourself!

    It's not just you, I know what you mean about the sifter jars. I have a NARS loose powder which I'm too scared to open because of the ensuing powder cloud. I'm pleased to report these are fine though. I even manage to dip the brush in and tap off the excess without getting powder everywhere. I think the ingredients mean it's dense enough not to fly around so easily.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great on you and look like they would actually last!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look really nice - particularly loving Pixie Kisses on you, it goes really nicely with your skin tone x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks 3ate4, I really like them.

    Hi Alice! I love Pixie Kisses. It was strange that it didn't show up well as a swatch as it definitely has a nice colour on the cheeks. Glad you liked it.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look really lovely - I reckon it'd be good to go for toffee apple and pixie kisses for different eye looks. Is it just me or so some eye shadow shades look better with a peachy blush as opposed to a pink one?

    The only think that might put me off is the jars because I hatethe ones with the little holes; so easy to end up with too much or two little on your brush :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for this Jane, the colours and finish all look very good and flattering on you - but you have lovely skin.
    As an answer to Alison Cross's comment, Sirvinya has done a recent post on this very subject with photos. Would do link but the very term "HTML tags" makes me feel like Methusela.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi All Made Up! Lovely to meet you :). I know what you mean about pink and peaches matching with different eye looks. I regularly pick the wrong ones though and end up clashing.

    I know what you mean about it being tricky getting the distribution of powder on the brush right. I played around a bit to get the right technique and tapping it off or picking up powder from the lid seemed the most successful.

    Hi lipstickmama, lovely to see you. BeautyMaze and I have been missing you :). I'm pleased you like them. If you click on the HTML tags bit it takes you to a page that shows you how to do it. If you'd prefer you can copy and paste the link, then I'll add it below as a hyperlink.

    Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate them x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh Pixie Kisses is gorgeous! I haven't heard of this brand so methinks a little shopping is in order!

    Thanks, Jane: you are always uncovering new products for me to buy!!

    Rach x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your skin is so fab girl! and all the shades look gorgeous on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rachel! Pixie Kisses is a gorgeous blusher. It's a definitely a brand worth investigating. Emma is really nice x

    Hey Get Gawjus, thank you so much! x

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and read each and every one. I always do my best to reply too. If you have a question and need a quick response, please feel free to email me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails