Monday 4 October 2010

MAC Venomous Villains

The MAC Venomous Villains collection has been released online today so I thought it would be a good time to tell you about the event I attended last week. Of course if you've been waiting eagerly for the UK release, I'll expect you back after you've put you order in!

The evening started with a demonstration of a Cruella De Vil look. The transformation of the model was extremely impressive and the lips looked just amazing. The products that were used are listed on the face chart below which you can click on to expand.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the demonstration lots of eager bloggers headed up to the shop floor to check out the new collection. I managed to get a couple of photos of the displays, unfortunately as it was extremely busy I didn't manage to get any swatch photos. Karlasugar has some excellent swatches of each 'Villain' collection; Cruella, Dr. Facilier, The Evil Queen and Maleficent.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had rather dismissed this collection when I first saw the images. As much as I love Disney films and make up, I thought it was a rather unusual pairing. Also, as I have small children, I thought Disney photos on my eyeshadows would be like an open invite to play! As it turns out, the minute they spotted pictures of the collection, I knew I wasn't going to get away without buying anything. The inclusion of Dr. Facilier from the recent Princess and Frog film got them very excited.

As part of the evenings events, you could opt to get a Venomous Villains eye or lip look. You were also able to dress up in the Cruella costume for a photo. Now, there may be a photo of me looking like a berk in a wonky wig, I couldn't possibly comment (and will not consider sharing, even for bribes). However, I will share with you the eye make up I had done on the night.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The make up artist used the two colours from the She Who Dares mineralised eyeshadow duo over a base of Slick Black Greasepaint Stick. She applied the green on my lid and the navy in the crease. Above the crease any harsh lines were blended out using Quarry eyedshadow. I was impressed with the trick of using Fix+ to clean up the lines at the outer edge of my eye. I've never considered trying the mineralised eyeshadows before but the green colour over the black base looked stunning. I liked the combination very much.



Although I didn't buy anything on the night, I did have a little look at Oh So Fair Beauty Powder which I'd already had my eye on. I always seem to be drawn to these compacts when MAC release special packaging. I would like to get one to use as a lightly pigmented blush shade. I need to do a little more investigating to see if this is the best colour choice for me.  I'm still not sure about the packaging either, I know it's going to be popular as a collectors item and the images are iconic but I think something more stylised like the outer packaging would have tempted me more. I've no doubt that it will be a big seller though.

I would also recommend taking a look at the French Quarter Greasepaint stick if you don't have one of these already. I have Dirty already so can't really justify another but I think this would be useful buy, especially if you are going for one of the mineralised eyeshadows duos.


Photobucket


I'll leave you with the Evil Queen face chart which I just love. So, what are you feelings about this collection? Will you be buying anything? Have you already put your order in?

23 comments:

  1. Your eyes look gorgeous, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh great minds think a like! :) I'm all over them there beauty powders like a big ole shimmery rash! lol I'm quite pale and they work much better than blushes for me.

    Not bothered about the packaging so much but I love the product and I'd have bought them regardless of what the case looked like. I saved my money and bought all three because my Hello Kitty one is showing large amounts of pan now.

    That green look fab on you by the way and excellent Fix+ tip...i'll have to try that out! :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that MES on you. I had to leave it because I can't afford it. I also decided I fancied the cool powder but my bank computer said a big fat no. So in the end I jsut had to gra A Bite of the Apple and Bad Fairy polish. I didn't want heaps, but I really did want a few more bits :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful eyes!
    I haven't looked I must admit, trying to be very dood :(

    Sounds like a fun night was had x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for posting this, I thought the collection would go online tomorrow! Have quickly put my order in, not bought anything from MAC for ages so looking forward to the mineralize eyeshadow duos and beauty powders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered mine earlier today - bite of an apple blush and strange potion lipgloss. Also ordered one of the new F/W '10 nail polishes.
    I like this collection, but I don't love it. I think I was very reserved this time round...the packaging still just isn't doing it for me! I can't imagine being out and pulling this out of my bag!
    Love your eye makeup too - I read a few reviews about the colour payoff not being great with the MES so I gave them a miss, although I was tempted by My Dark Magic
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is actually the first post which has made the collection appealing to me. your look is awesome and this face chart is to die for and i mean it despite my reservations for mac
    liloo/@tsunimee

    ReplyDelete
  8. The packaging doesn't hit the spot with me either, especially as I'm not a massive Disney fan, and I wasn't expecting to want anything. But I'm loving your eyes, and there are a few things I've spotted that have made me think again, mainly the beauty powders and mineralised eyeshadows. BUT I'm going to be good - I'm trying not to buy any makeup this month. If there are any products left come payday, I might be tempted... xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really care about the packaging (the only one that's actively putting me off is the Dr Facilier one), but I did order a few things this morning because i like the look of the products. I got both mineralize eyeshadows, Wicked Ways, Hot house and Strange Potion l/g, Briar Rose bp (by the way if you don't want to get Oh So Fair because of the packaging, it's coming out again with Tartan Tale in one of the face kits), Bad Fairy nail polish and Bite of an Apple blush. Can't wait for tomorrow when my little black box is coming! Yippee!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really don't like the packaging (and I'm skint!) and therefore I'm giving this one a miss. But that eyeshadow look on you is great! Nice to see a post about the eyeshadows as everything I've read so far has focused on the lips and nails. Totally love that Evil Queen face chart too - I'm so going to try to do that look with other products I've got! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The makeup looks great on you - but this is a big fat yawn for me! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. The eye make up is stunning, Fix + is such a great little tool. Funny enough as I stood crushed at Oxford Circus this evening, opposite me was the Cruella model....she's a MAC mua at the Soho branch :-) Gonna try and check out the collection tomorrow and may just get a few pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love that eye look on you, very sultry ;P I can't really stand the packaging but I had to order the red lippie as I am loving reds and the liquid powder as it sounds cool! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Bettina: Thank you. I thought the green over the black base looked so pretty. I would never have tried it myself.

    @Ms. Wedgie: The Fix + clean up worked a treat. I wish I hadn’t got rid of mine now! I definitely want a BP, I’m still undecided on which one to go for though.

    @Charlie: What a shame, fingers crossed that you’ll be lucky with a blog sale.

    @Sweetcheeks: Thank you, well done for being good. It can be easy to get drawn in to the LE collections, I think some stuff has already sold out online!

    @Lipstick Luvvie: I’m so pleased it was helpful. I really look forward to hearing how you get one with your purchases.

    @WelshBeautyBlog: I the MES are notorious for being difficult to use, I think a base is definitely required to bring out the colour. I loved how the black base worked with these eyeshadows. I’m very tempted to get it after the seeing it in action.

    @liloo: I’m so grateful for your comment lovely. I haven’t visited MAC since the Rodarte situation and though I never considered a boycott, I will admit to having found it difficult to return to their counters. Looking at the face charts and watching the make up artist in action has really piqued my interest again.

    @TBBB: I packaging really seems to have people divided. I don’t hate it but I think something more edgy would have been more fitting. Fingers crossed you can have browse come payday.

    @Anitacska: Thanks for the heads up about the BP. The boys might not thank me though! You can’t beat the excitement of waiting for a delivery!

    @Missy Ellie: I love the face charts. All the villainesses have great charts! I want to give one a go for a Halloween party. Any excuse to go dramatic with the make up ;).

    @Jan: Your comment made me laugh out loud! It’s definitely for everyone!

    @BQ: Yes, Nic from Pixiwoo was chatting to the Cruella model and I realised she must have been a MAC MUA. They were talking about her amazing hair! I really loved watching the transformation into Cruella! I can’t wait to hear what you decide on.

    @Sarah: Thank you! It was a very effective weirdo repellent on the way home. I should go villainess more often ;). The liquid powder is really interesting. I’m looking forward to hearing what you make of it.

    Thanks for all the great comments, I can’t wait to read everyone’s posts as the black boxes start arriving ;)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That eye makeup looks fabulous on you! I purchased the two mineral eyeshadows and I have the greasepaint stick from a previous collection. Can't wait to recreate this look :) Thanks for the great post & photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Makeup Magpie, I look forward to hearing how you like them. I think you'll love how the MES look applied over the greasepaint stick.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have so much fun I see and love your pictures!!Btw I tagged you!!
    Hugs and kisses!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great make up !!!!!


    the "oh so fair" face powder looks super interesting, this collection is not available yet in France, but regarding the pinkiecharm review about it, it contains A LOT of shimmer.


    + i'm wondering if it wouldn't be similar to benefit's dandelion blush


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. that looks like a fun event, like the eyes on you. I do want 2 of the beauty powders I think but I'm not quite sure I can get pass that packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Finally had time to catch up with this post:)

    Your eyes lookk fab! Your fix+ comment might just make me investigate a MAC first purchase. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Blushingloves: It was a fun evening, a great chance to catch up with some other beauty bloggers too! Thanks for tagging me.

    @Lily Blue: I don’t have Benefit Dandelion but it’s a colour that has tempted me a lot. Very useful to know about the shimmer, I’ll check out pinkiecharms review.

    @Replica: It’s certainly not the most glamourous packaging! How is your boy with Disney stuff? My boys went loopy when I was looking pictures on Temptalia!

    @Sparklz and Shine: I really liked the colours. The fix+ worked really well to create a sharp line. Either this or the other MAC product that Beauty Maze has mentioned for cleaning up might be handy for you.

    Thanks for all of you comments x

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and read each and every one. I always do my best to reply too. If you have a question and need a quick response, please feel free to email me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails